This was our first attempt at a recipe from our new Italian cooking book Stir by Barbara Lynch. It’s a simple recipe, with a deep red sauce. The spicy sausage (in our case pepperoni) separates this dish from your standard pasta.
Recipe, Adapted from Barbara Lynch’s Stir
- 2T Olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 pepperoni sausage (or similar) sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2t chilli flakes
- 400g rigatoni pasta
- 1 tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2T basil, shredded
- 2T butter
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat and add the garlic, cooking for 2 minutes until golden.
- Add the onion and sausage and cook for ~5 minutes.
- Add the wine and increase the heat and cook for ~10 minutes until the wine has reduced by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and cook for ~25 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- For the pasta, boil a large saucepan of salted water and add the pasta.
- Once cooked, drain and save 1/2 cup of the pasta water
- Add to the sauce the cooked pasta, beans, parmesan, basil and butter and stir gently.
- Cook for ~3 minutes and add the reserved pasta water.
- Serve the pasta and top with extra parmesan and basil. Enjoy.